ITG Book & Document Holdings
Catalog of all books and a choice of documents ("grey literature") kept
in the ITM library.
Besides genuine books and unpublished documents, this database also includes
a selection of serial items and special journal issues.
- Volume: over 28,000 titles.
- Document types: 70% books; 3% dissertations; 14% reports, documents,
special serials issues, etc.; 5% electronic documents.
- Language distribution: 66% English; 27% French; 7% other languages.
- Scope: exhaustive catalog.
- Order: the records are presented in reverse chronological order.
- Keywords: all keywords are in English. No controlled thesaurus is used,
so various synonyms may occur.
- Availability: most of the items are immediately available in the books
reading room. Some are held in a closed store or in the research departments.
These should be asked for at the counter.
- Update frequency: quarterly. Last updated in January 2014.
- Copyright: The Library. Institute of Tropical Medicine 1998-2014.
To find the books on the shelves you only need 3 pieces of information (these are the same 3 elements which feature on the book's label):
- "CD": the subject code. This is the major classification key
(see Barnard classification).
- "NR": the unique identification number.
- "PY": the year of publication.
Take care: not all titles are present in the books reading room
- Book copies with the letter "M" or "MG" after the identification
number, or the initial message "This book is not available in the ITG Library
reading room" are not kept in the "Broden" reading room,
but in a closed store; they can be requested at the counter.
- Book copies with the formula "Reference" as subject code
are not kept on the book shelves, but in the reference section at the
left side of the "Broden" room, next to the PCs. In the database this is
indicated by the initial message "This book is in the reference section".
- Apart from published books, the library also holds several
thousands of unpublished documents and reports (produced by, amongst others,
the many subdivisions of the World Health Organization (WHO)).
This type of "grey literature" is not kept in the reading rooms,
but in a closed store. Starting from 1990, these documents are listed in the
ITG Book & Document Holdings database. Their special status is
indicated by the formula "This document can be obtained at the ITG Library
counter" at the top of the records.
Instead of a numeric identification number, they are marked with the formula
In order to successfully identify and retrieve the actual documents, their
unique serial number (listed in the "Series" field) is the main key.
- Besides 'genuine' books and unpublished documents, the database also
includes (a selection of) (special) journal issues, which are classified
in the library as part of the serials holdings. Instead of a numeric
identification number, they are marked "This document is in the
periodicals section". Instead of a numeric identification number,
they are marked with the formula "Periodicals".
Other books are, for several reasons, not available in the library.
When no copy of such a title is available in the library, this is indicated
by the initial message "This book is not available in the ITG Library
- Book copies with a department code (e.g. "BIOMED", "CLINIC")
after the identification number are not kept in the reading room, but in
the ITG department indicated. These copies are not immediately available,
but can be requested via the library.
- Book copies with the letter "V" after the identification number
are missing or lost. They are obviously no longer available.