Last updated on October 12, 2005 |
Institute of Tropical Medicine Antwerp
How to access the ITG Library ERL Database Server
The ITG library database server features SilverPlatter's
Electronic Reference Library (ERL) technology, offering a choice between
either World Wide Web access through the
WebSPIRS interface or local Windows-based
access with the WinSPIRS interface.
A. Accessing the ITG library databases
from within the ITG library:
- Windows-based access to the databases on the ERL server of the ITG library
with the WinSPIRS interface on all library PCs (1-6).
- Internet-based access to all databases on the ERL server of the ITG library
with the WebSPIRS interface at
"http://lib.itg.be/version.htm" on library PC1-PC6.
Don't forget to specify the username "opac" and password "opac" (both are
identical) to get access to all the databases.
- Internet-based access to all the databases on the ERL server of the ITM
library with the WebSPIRS interface at
- Select WebSpirs 5 software.
- Don't forget to use the departmental usernames to get access to all databases
(contact the ITG library).
- Windows-based access to the databases on the ERL server of the ITM
library with the WinSPIRS interface.
WinSPIRS offers a number of advantages over WebSPIRS (e.g. fast start with
automatic login, continuous display of all records within a set, individual
management of local parameters for display, print and download options,
French and Spanish interface versions, etc.), but needs installation of the
necessary program files on your PC.
If you intend to use WinSPIRS regularly, and wish this software to be
installed on your PC, contact ITG network services.
If you only access the databases occasionally, you can just as well continue
using WebSPIRS, which accesses exactly the same databases (but in a somewhat
- World Wide Web based access at
with the WebSPIRS interface.
- The default login (username "guest" and password "guest") will give
visitors access to the databases produced by the ITG library.
However, copyright-protected databases like Medline are not available
- All usernames (except "guest") are physically limited to ITG-related PCs.
Users belonging to ITG and desiring to access copyright-protected databases
from outside ITG should contact the ITG library.
D. Who to contact